Thursday 16 October 2008

E&R Week 2: 'Yes, I know how to use the library'

To research a project on some aspect of the 18th century I would first consult broad overviews of the subject, probably on the internet, enabling me to identify more specific areas of interest to investigate.

If I were to choose the American War of Independence, for example, these are the books I would take out:
- Alden, John Richard, A History of the American Revolution : Britain and the Loss of the Thirteen Colonies (London: Macdonald, 1969)
- Conway, Stephen, The War of American Independence 1775-1783 (London: E. Arnold, 1995)
-
Conway, Stephen, The British Isles and the War of American Independence (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000)
- Middlekauff, Robert, The Glorious Cause : The American Revolution 1763-1789 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1985)
- Wright, Esmond, The War of American Independence, (London: The Historical Association, 1976)

No comments: